Thursday, May 3, 2012

Writing Courses Online - 'Write Good Stuff'

Online creative writing courses can be a great way to learn more skills.  Especially when you are trying to balance work and family.

The first course I tried online was Focus on Fiction, run out of Waiariki Technical Institute. It provided chunks of information on a weekly basis.  There was a chance to be in contact with other writers on the course if you wanted feedback and a substantial amount of feedback from the tutor.

Recently I've taken two more through Jill Marshall's 'Write Good Stuff'.  The first was an introduction to writing novels for children/junior fiction.  The second taught me the ins and outs of picture book writing.

I've tried many times to write a picture book.  It's a lot harder than it appears!  I started Jill Marshall's lessons with a fun idea though.  It really helped to have that idea to work on as I made my way through the course.

Jill Marshall is a writer of the well known Jane Blonde series, a publisher at Pear Jam books and a huge supporter of authors in New Zealand.  Besides running the online courses, she offers assessments and mentoring opportunities.  Look her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment