Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Lee Murray Next Big Thing Blog Challenge

Thanks for listing me amongst your predictions for the ‘next best thing’, Lee Murray http://www.leemurray.info/blogspot/the-next-big-thing

I accept the mission challenge and promise to get off my behind and write my final draft asap.

Here are the interview questions, as requested!

What is the working title of your book?
Brave and True

Where did the idea come from for the book?
I love quest stories.  You know the ones where characters go on a long and incredible journey, face unbelievable odds, overcome problems and rise to the challenge. Brave and True, as characters, popped in to my head a few years ago, their names fully formed.  Since then I've been slogging away at building their worlds and working out how they'd make their way through them.

What genre does your book fall under?
I was going for junior fiction but after Norman Billborough's assessment of my manuscript, I'm wondering whether it's closer to young adult.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Undecided.  I based Brave on a little boy who lives in our neighbourhood but because it's taken me so long to finish, he's since grown a lot taller so no longer looks like the Brave I imagined.  I'd need someone with olive skin, sandy hair and a cheeky glint in his golden eyes.  True is most definitely a diva, at least at the start of the book. I'd need an actor who looked a bit like a young Penelope Cruz perhaps? After watching Charlize Theron playing various villains, I think she'd make a great Mallevia.  Rat could be played by John Noble from Fringe. Steadfast could be played by Patrick Dempsey from Greys Anatomy. (Although I could just be including him because he's hot).   Brave's Mum could be played by Kristin Stewart of Twilight fame or Jennifer Anniston, in hippy mode.

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Definitely don't have that one sussed out yet. So here's a section of the back cover blurb, as imagined by me:

Ever wondered what an earth your Mum is talking about?  It’s like she’s from a totally different planet, right?

Brave’s Mum is always going on about Brussels sprouts, balance and connections to nature.  He’d be happy with a reliable connection to the internet. 

Besides, he’s got more important things to worry about like his arch enemy, mega-bully Riley.

But when Brave’s bad mood sets off a thunderstorm and a mystery Uncle turns up along with grave news , Brave knows something weird is going on.

Things turn freaky fast when a spooky, swirling vortex swallows his Mum whole and Brave takes an unexpected journey – to another world!
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I have no idea yet.  Either would be fine by me.

How long did it take to write the first draft?
6 months to a year, working part time.  But at that stage it was 90,000 words long.  Now it's closer to 60,000.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
The Lost Island of Tamarind by Nadia Aguiar.  Also John Flanaghan's Ranger's Apprentice books - although the stories are nothing like Brave and True, his amazing main character Will had a huge impact on me while I was writing. I wanted Brave to have just as much strength, humour and heart.
Who or what inspired you to write this book?
My children. My ten year old self.

Next big things?
Deryn Pittar (pseudonym Virginnia de Parte) - romance writer extraordinaire
Kim Meyer - short story, cross-genre writer and scientist
Catherine Benetto - sophisticated chick lit (not sure if that fits your writing CB, what do you think?)
 
 
 

 









No comments:

Post a Comment